Friday, August 5, 2011

So, the comment box is broken...

It seems I've begun something. My good friend who's blog I mentioned in Greetings, Saluations...and other stuff, after having read Are we Heroes, or are we Adventurers, posted a continuation of his comment on his own blog. You can read it here. But, for some reason, I can't comment on any of his posts. Sadly, I am forced to do it here.

*Shrug*

Here goes...


I think the thing that most sticks with me is "until you have worked for it". This is a game, it's supposed to be fun. And, well, getting your ass handed to you by a couple of Kobolds might be work, but it sure as hell isn't fun. And there are many levels of heroes, not all of them are high level guys, but they have powers, or training, when they begin, unlike the guy who picks up a sword and a bag for loot.

But, the latter is how many games, not just fantasy, start you out. You are nearly incapable of making an impact. As for, the whole - if you want to be a hero, play a super-heroes game -- that comment is patently unfair. Heroes abound in fantasy fiction, and not all of them started out as some schmuck farmer. It's true that many of them do, and there's nothing wrong with that kind of story. I just don't want to do that all the time.

We can solve the problem of our characters never getting up to 8th and 10th level by just starting there. But, nobody seems to want to do that.

I'll tell you, though, this gamer is getting tired of slogging through the muck...

1 comment:

  1. As a counter to the your starting at 8th or 10th level is that isn't a character that has earned his/her status. In my opinion, it the same as buying a 60-80, whatever the cap is in WoW character. Those characters that start at anything very high haven't earned the right to be called Heroes. Sorry if I sound harsh but that is how I have always seen characters as starting off high. Those games might have more intrigue and political stuff, however, it seems like a cheat.

    ReplyDelete